If you read my previous article, Beginners Guide To Self Care, you’ll know that while yes, taking a long hot bubble bath can be immensely relaxing (as long as you have a lock on the door, sleeping children or an empty house!) there is a lot more to self care than just chilling out. But sometimes it can be hard to come up with selfcare ideas on the spot.
Disclaimer: This Post Contains Affiliate links. What that means for you is that when you follow my link and purchase from the website, I’ll be paid a small commission, at no cost to you.
We more often than not neglect ourselves while tentatively caring for those around us. What we need can wait. Until later. Until tomorrow. Until… god knows when! This more often ends in the same result; a feeling of dull monotony of life swallowing us up. Chores, children, errands, organisation. Round and round it goes until we either break down or give up.
Its time to stop the cycle. And if you’re not sure how, thats where I come in. I’ve compiled a list of some of my favourite Self Care Ideas, rituals, habits – whatever you want to call them! Some might not be for you. Some you can use as a guide. Some may be just what you need. Use them as a guide and as inspiration to start your very own self care journey.
Sit back and have a browse with a cuppa. Everything else can wait til later!
- Go for a hike, or just a slow, mindful walk in nature.
- Play with a pet. If you don’t have a pet, why not go to a local animal sanctuary and play with the animals.
- Try a new sport or exercise class
- Reorganise your space & add some greenery
- Go dancing
- Try yoga
- Make a list; organise your thoughts and declutter your mind
- Have an early night & get plenty of sleep
- Drink more water
- Try out that recipe thats in your pin list
- Get some fresh air
- Have an ultimate pamper night; bubble bath, candles, music, face mask – The works!
- Try aromatherapy
- Breath; take 60 seconds a few times a day to sit and just breath mindfully
- Find a quiet, comfy place and meditate
- Say ‘No’ without an excuse; just because you don’t want to
- Repeat positive affirmations to yourself
- Start a Gratitude Diary
- Get Creative; write, paint, sew, knit, sing – whatever you love to do, do it
- Complete something on your ‘To Do’ List
- Instead of Criticising yourself, notice those thoughts and turn them into a positive
- Journal your feelings
- Read a book
- Switch off the TV and listen to some music
- Turn off your phone
- Take a Nap
- Help someone out
- Donate some old clothes to charity
- Avoid the toxic people in your life
- Schedule ‘Me Time’. Put it in your diary, or your phone calendar and treat it as importantly as any other appointment
- Go to therapy. Yes it can be scary. No its not as bad as you think, so I’ve been told (more to come soon!)
- Enjoy lunch out by yourself and people watch
- Have a digital detox day
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 4 Podcasts That Will Boost Your Positivity
- Create your own ZEN space to escape to
- Call a friend, no matter how long its been
- Spend time with someone you love
- Plan a night out – and get a babysitter!
- Reach out to someone you miss
- Host a game night
- Go window shopping with a friend
- Watch a film at the cinema
- Go for coffee at a cute cafe
- Meditate for 5 minutes
- Cuddle your kids
- Make popcorn at home and watch your favourite movie
- Sleep in
- Have breakfast in bed
- Sing and dance in your kitchen
- Listen to podcasts
- Have a picnic
- Go swimming
- Build a sandcastle
- Collect pieces of nature, press them & dry them, then hang them in a clear frame
- Go for a drive somewhere new and stop for lunch
- Feed the ducks
- Sit by the sea in your car on a stormy day and watch the waves
- Be spontaneous and say yes to that thing your really want to do
- Go to the library
- Get a haircut or have a blow-dry
- Have a massage
- Play your favourite game whether its on console, your phone , outside or a board game
- Pray or go to church if you haven’t been in a while. If you’re not religious, why not try going to someone different – a synagogue, mosque or other religious place and just experience the ambiance.
- Visit a museum or gallery
Remember self care can be anything and everything you need it to be. There’s no wrong way. There’s no ‘right way’. What might specifically work for you might bore someone else to tears. The key thing is that you are taking the time to treat yourself kindly. To do more and be more than just a dishwasher and errand runner. You deserve time to yourself. You deserve to do the things you love.
I hope you’ve been inspired by this article. What will you be trying from the list? Let me know in the comments.